Research in the Dudnik group merges organic and polymer chemistries and materials science to address current scientific challenges in areas of sustainable energy, functional electronic materials, and human health. We focus on the development of new catalytic methods to access novel molecular architectures and materials for applications in organic solar cells, electronics, batteries, biomedical imaging, and phototherapy. Main research directions include developing transition metal-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions for concise synthesis of conjugated polymers, synthesis of three-dimensionally conjugated covalent organic frameworks, and new catalytic approaches to controlled precision polymer synthesis. Mechanistic studies are employed to improve selectivities and efficiencies of the synthetic transformations. Structure-property relationship studies powered by various characterization techniques are used to refine our understating of fundamental processes in these materials, guide materials design, and optimize performance. Students who join our laboratory will have excellent opportunities for training in organic and polymer chemistries, materials science (including device fabrication and testing), and biomedical imaging techniques.
Education, Awards and Professional Highlights
- Appointed to UC Davis faculty (2016)
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Environmental Chemistry Fellow, Northwestern University (2013-2016)
- Postdoctoral Associate, MIT and Caltech (2011-2012)
- Graduate College Outstanding Thesis Award (2011)
- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Chicago (2011)
- Dean's Scholar Fellowship (2009)
- B.S. Moscow State University (2005)
- Eastham, N. D.; Dudnik, A. S.; Harutyunyan, B.; Aldrich, T. J.; Leonardi, M. J.; Manley, E. F.; Butler, M. R.; Harschneck, T.; Ratner, M. A.; Chen, L. X.; Bedzyk, M. J.; Melkonyan, F. S.; Facchetti, A.; Chang, R. P. H.; Marks, T. J. "Enhanced Light Absorption in Fluorinated Ternary Small-Molecule Photovoltaics" ACS Energy Lett. 2017, 2, 1690–1697.
- Eastham, N. D.; Dudnik, A. S.; Aldrich, T. A.; Manley, E. F.; Fauvell, T. J.; Hartnett, P. E.; Wasielewski, M. R.; Chen, L. X.; Melkonyan, F. S.; Facchetti, A.; Chang, R. P. H.; Marks, T. J. "Small Molecule Acceptor and Polymer Donor Crystallinity and Aggregation Effects on Microstructure Templating: Understanding Photovoltaic Response in Fullerene-Free Solar Cells" Chem. Mater. 2017, 29, 4432–4444.
- Dudnik, A. S.;† Aldrich, T. A.;† Eastham, N. D.; Chang, R. P. H.; Facchetti, A.; Marks, T. J. "Tin-Free Direct C–H Arylation Polymerization for High Photovoltaic Efficiency Conjugated Copolymers" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 15699–15709.
- Zhou, N.; Dudnik, A. S.; Li, T. I. N. G.; Manley, E. F.; Aldrich, T. A.; Guo, P.; Liao, H.-C.; Chen, Z.; Chen, L. X.; Chang, R. P. H.; Facchetti, A.; Olvera de la Cruz, M.; Marks, T. J. "All-Polymer Solar Cell Performance Optimized via Systematic Molecular Weight Tuning of both Donor and Acceptor Polymers" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 1240-1251.
- Dudnik, A. S.;† Weidner, V. L.;† Motta, A.; Delferro, M.; Marks, T. J. "Atom-Efficient Regioselective 1,2-Dearomatization of Functionalized Pyridines by Earth-Abundant Organolanthanide Catalyst" Nature Chem. 2014, 6, 1100-1107.
- Dudnik, A. S.; Fu, G. C. "Nickel-Catalyzed Coupling Reactions of Alkyl Electrophiles, Including Unactivated Tertiary Halides, To Generate Carbon-Boron Bonds" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 10693-10697.
- Dudnik, A. S.; Chernyak, N.; Huang, C.; Gevorgyan, V. "A General Strategy toward Aromatic 1,2-Ambiphilic Synthons: Palladium-Catalyzed ortho-Halogenation of PyDipSi-Arenes" Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 8729-8732.
- Chernyak, N.; Dudnik, A. S.; Huang, C.; Gevorgyan, V. "PyDipSi: A General and Easily Modifiable/Traceless Si-Tethered Directing Group for C-H Acyloxylation of Arenes" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 8270-8272.